Thursday, February 14, 2008
Le Petit Prince on Asteroid B212

I was just randomly browsing through my old collection of books when I happen to stumble upon 'The Little Prince' or Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery....

As it has been a long time since I have read that book, I decided to read it a second time since its a rather short book with lotsa pictures...

What was surprising is that I noticed a rather unfamiliar drawing in the book while flipping through it and here's the content & drawing of this 'unread' part of the book about the little prince when he was travelling across back to his planet after his visit to Earth....

Photobucket

After leaving the seventh planet and on his way back to Asteroid B612, the little prince passed by a small little planet.

This planet, known as Asteroid B212 was very small as compared to Earth, yet it was much bigger than Asteroid 325, the first planet he visited that was inhabited by the king.

On this planet lived a little pig which was very decently dressed, I would say very well dressed indeed.

'Good day,' said the little prince. 'Sir, that's a very nice sash you got over there!'.

For the little pig was wearing a bright red sash with the words 'Mr Knowledgable' written on it. However, he also noticed that the little pig, like the drinker was very sad, in fact, he has been sulking since the time the little prince noticed its existence on this planet.

'Hi,' replied the little pig and he continued with his deep thoughts and his sulking.

'That's a very strange pig indeed,' thought the little prince, even though he had his fair share of weird people while travelling around the universe. He also noticed all the awards, medals, plaques that was hammered around the planet, seemingly awarded to the little pig.

On it was 'Mr Most Hardworking', 'Mr Richest', 'Mr Handsome' and a lot more signboards in uncomprehensible languages. 'This pig must be a very outstanding pig indeed,' the little prince said to himself, 'But why is he so upset?'

As usual, the inquisitive little prince asked the little pig, 'Sir, why are you so sad?'

'Because I only have limited time and it is not enough,' replied the pig.

'Why do you need so much time?' asked the little prince.

'To win the rest of the awards,' came the answer. 'Because I took up too much time to get these awards, I do not have enough to win the rest of the awards.'

'Why do you need so many awards?' the little prince just can't seem to have enough of his own questions.

'So that when I have the most number of awards, I can have the rest of my life to do the things that I like' answered the little pig.

'Why can't you just do the things that you like now with the remaining of your time without getting all the awards?' queried the little prince.

'Nope,' replied the little pig, 'Because that is what is expected of a happy pig, to get the most number of awards.'

'Pigs are decidedly super duper extraordinary weird,' he mumbled to himself, as he continued his voyage back to his small little comfortable planet.

**************

After thoughts: Haaa...after writing for a while, I began to feel that the plot goes out of point and that I'm doing injustice to Antoine de Saint-Exupery... Anyway, The Little Prince has always been one of the books that I really enjoyed...

As I looked at the little pig, it just reminds me of the current struggling that I'm facing with Life... As a Christian, we are thought to be in the world but not of the world, but time and time again, real working life just seem to have the magnetic attraction to suck me into selling my life and soul into work...

Honestly, so what if one does indeed reach the highest of all corporate ladders or one earns enough to enjoy his or her life comfortably? It just doesn't make any sense, cos this hope that we currently have of enjoying a comfortable life now, or in future, does not stand the endurance of time... I guess the talks by Richard Chin, National Director of Australian Fellowship of Evangelical Students (AFES) during the Project Timothy talks have been very encouraging and set my focus on the hope that I have on Christ alone...

His sermon on the 'Bringing gospel to the world' during Ministry Matters (MM) just simply blows me apart....though it is something which we may know in our mind, but it just challenges me if I really place Christ as first place in my life, which I obviously could not be 100% sure if that's the case.... Gotto stop behaving like the little pig!!! Goodbye emo-CY....
내 사랑 ---- My Love
Nae-Sarang, directly translated as My Love................
I believe that in the heart of every person, there is a 'Love' of their life, it could be their family, their friends, that special 'someone', hobbies and even some particular habit that you grow to live without...I hope that through this blog, I can let my friends to have a glimpse of this part of my life, though may be short, but I hope that I will grow to love and remember, in this little room in my heart...

PS: You might need to change your encoding to Unicode (UTF-8) to view some of the Korean and Chinese words

About Me
Name: Ah Yak/황숭익